Use your knowledge and skills to promote a positive health and safety culture within the team at Allied International.
£15,000 p/a subject to qualifications/experience
Full-time, permanent post
The Company’s Health & Safety Officer will use their knowledge and skills to promote a positive health and safety culture in the workplace; be responsible for ensuring that AIUK as employers, and our workforce, comply with safety legislation; that safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to; and, help to plan, implement, monitor and review protective and preventative safety measures.
The Health & Safety Officer will be responsible to the Company’s Operations Manager and work in partnership with the Company’s Directors and employees at its head office location in Grangemouth, and in Branches in Aberdeen and Redcar to minimise among other things:
• Occupational health problems;
• Operational losses
Typical work activities include those associated with office & administration; warehouse duties involving goods inwards, stock storage, and goods outwards; production/manufacturing safe use of machinery; all particularly addressing occupational health, fire safety, and noise, including but not limited to the following:
• carrying out risk assessments and considering how risks could be reduced;
• outlining safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards;
• carrying out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented;
• making changes to working practices that are safe and comply with legislation;
• preparing health and safety strategies and developing internal policy;
• leading in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks;
• keeping records of inspection findings and producing reports that suggest improvements;
• recording of incidents and accidents and producing statistics for managers;
• being up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry;
• reading professional journals and producing management reports, newsletters and bulletins;
• ensuring the safe installation of equipment;
• managing and organising the safe disposal of hazardous substances, e.g. asbestos;
• advising on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
About the company
Allied International UK Limited, is a stockist and manufacturer of Linepipe, Pipe Fittings, Flanges and associated piping products in carbon, stainless, alloy and duplex steels.
Part of the Allied International Group of Companies, Allied UK are considered as one of the leading suppliers for piping products in the United Kingdom and worldwide. With head offices and manufacturing division in Grangemouth and warehouse locations in Aberdeen and Teesside, Allied UK are strategically placed to ensure a first class service to our expanding client base. For more information visit their website.
The ideal graduate will be educated to degree level, ideally with a background in and/or formal knowledge of health and safety procedures.
The Company’s day to day operations are formally registered under the requirements of ISO 9001/ISO14001/OHSAS 18001 (International Standards Organisation; Occupational Health & Safety Advisory Services) and the successful job holder will ideally possess the NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) Diploma or equivalent NVQ4/5 or Degree in addition to training and/or experience and/or qualifications gained in respect of Health & Safety matters.
You should have a strong attention to detail, be a positive team player and confident in leadership. You will have integrity in your working habits and be committed to continual learning and development. You will be professional and responsible, with a strong work ethic.
Closing date for applications is 11 October 2015, 12noon.
Please submit a CV and brief covering letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. State a. your availability and b. How you meet the requirements of the job specification. We do NOT accept e-mail applications unless otherwise stated.