Salary: £25,000 per annum
Full Time (37.5 hours per week), Permanent with a 12 month probationary period, Flexible working, Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Closing date: This role is now closed for applications
- Crop Science-Based Research Technician – Immediate start
- Laboratory-Based Research Technician – September 2023
MycoNourish is eager to fill the ‘Crop Science-Based Research Technician’ role as soon as possible, so don’t delay in applying!
In these roles, you’ll work in state-of-the-art facilities alongside renowned scientists, pushing the boundaries of science to ensure global food security.
Apply now to enjoy flexibility, career growth prospects, and exciting hands-on work in a company that values your well-being and fosters an inclusive environment.
- 10% employer pension contributions
- Flexibility on hours and days worked, so you can find the perfect balance between work and play
- Sick Pay and Compassionate Leave to take care of yourself and your loved ones during challenging times
- Potential for career progression – as the company continues to grow, you can too
- MycoNourish is an innovative spin-out company based at the prestigious James Hutton Institute, offering you access to cutting-edge facilities, renowned scientists, and stimulating seminars
About the Company
“MycoNourish is a pioneering biotechnology company specialising in the development and commercialisation of sustainable agricultural solutions, specifically focusing on advanced applications of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi. Our mission is to improve global food security by harnessing the power of beneficial soil microbes.”
Learn more about MycoNourish here.
MycoNourish is taking on two new Research Technicians, one being Crop Science-Based and the other being Laboratory-Based.
Please Note: Neither role focuses on molecular biology.
The Crop Science-Based Research Technician role will primarily involve hands-on work in the MycoNourish glasshouse and polytunnel environments, with a focus on crop trials, plant husbandry and production.
The Laboratory-Based Research Technician role will primarily be based in the laboratory, with a focus on microbiology, chemical staining, and microscopy.
These roles offer an excellent opportunity to be part of a cutting-edge biotechnology company that is pushing the boundaries of science and making a real impact on global food security.
Both roles are essential to its operations and there will be overlap in some workstreams, with the candidates regularly working together on the same tasks, contributing directly to an exciting product pipeline and R&D programs. The candidates should be comfortable in working in both Crop Science-Based and Laboratory-Based roles from time to time.
Where a candidate primarily has experience in one environment, MycoNourish will provide training in working in the other environment. Successful applicants should expect crossover between both roles.
MycoNourish is committed to the equality of opportunities for all staff and applications from all individuals are encouraged. Regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships, they want to hear from you!
For both roles, the core requirement is for candidates to have a solid foundational knowledge in plants, plant biology and microbiology with a preference for specific knowledge of crops.
The essential Crop Science-Based role requirements include:
- Minimum of a college level qualification in a related field (e.g., Plant Biology, Botany, Horticulture, Agricultural Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Science) or industry experience
- Hands-on experience with plant cultivation, with the ability to monitor plant growth, as well as diagnosing and solving problems that may arise in an agricultural setting
- Comfortable with practical hands-on work and manual handling of bulky and / or heavy items
The essential Laboratory-Based role requirements include:
- Minimum of a BSc degree in a related field (e.g., Plant Biology, Botany, Horticulture, Agricultural Sciences, Ecology, Microbiology, Environmental Science) or industry experience
- Candidates should already be comfortable working in a laboratory, with a good handle on basic techniques (microscopy, working with chemicals and preparing solutions, etc.), as well as related Health and Safety (H&S) procedures
- Practical experience with hands-on, experimental, and laboratory techniques related to microbiology and plant science
- Manual dexterity for handling fine equipment
The non-specific role requirements include:
- Ability to innovate, think creatively and out of the box, as well as readily and proactively come up with solutions
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills, with the ability to work both effectively with a diverse team, as well as self-directed independent work
- Diligent and robust approach to their work, with the ability to balance attention to detail and the bigger picture
- Comfortable with varied and changing duties
- Comfortable working outdoors year-round
- Ability to learn quickly, and share your findings with others
- A positive attitude is key
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Excel
MycoNourish is aware that they are working in a specialised field of science, and as such, they will train candidates on the specific techniques required for their roles, which will allow them to gain experience beyond the standard techniques that they are already comfortable with. However, where they are present, the following skills are desirable:
- Prior experience in the cultivation of crops under controlled, field, and laboratory conditions
- Familiarity with crop trials and / or production in glasshouse, polytunnel, and field environments
- Experience or understanding of the culturing of AMF, chemical staining, and microscopy
- Micropropagation and the aseptic culture of plants and microbes
- Statistical analysis
Please Note: Neither role focuses on molecular biology. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates will regularly interact with a wide range of plants, fruits, vegetables, and bees. Therefore, this role may not be suitable for those with allergies to these.
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com.
This role is now closed for applications