Salary: £22,847 to £26,341 pro rata (depending on experience)
Part-time (21 hours p/w), Fixed term, Flexible hours
Closing date: 7 December 2021, noon
This is a unique opportunity to join a driven, innovative organisation and develop both your skills and responsibility within a diverse new role.
About the Company
“Converge is Scotland’s largest company creation programme dedicated to the University network. We help innovators, creators and ground-breakers turn their ideas into commercially viable businesses to help Scotland thrive. By partnering with all Scottish Universities, we ensure that anyone, regardless of which University they come from, has the chance to contribute to the economy and society.
We offer intensive, practical training, tailored specifically to academic entrepreneurs, and one-to-one guidance enabling staff, students and graduates to explore the commercial potential and societal impact of their research, creativity and ideas.
We enable participants to connect with a dynamic network of like-minded individuals and organisations to help them drive their business ideas forward. By providing access to funding and enhancing our participants’ profiles, Converge functions as a springboard for many aspiring entrepreneurs. With a strong focus on investment readiness, we have been growing the engagement with investment communities.
Read more about the vision and values of the Converge team on their website
Converge is hosted by Heriot-Watt University. The University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our University community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups.
Working closely with Converge’s Operations Manager, you will provide operational, and some marketing, support for Converges’ various commercialisation, financial and business development activities.
- To support the delivery of the programme by providing professional coordination, administration, communication and logistic support related to Converge
- To support financial reporting activities by recording financial data, processing payments and tracking the budget
- Working within the Converge team and within the overall Heriot-Watt Knowledge Exchange strategy to deliver support of programme/project delivery, information management and support for some marketing activities
- To support the delivery of marketing and events strategy of Converge
- To support the Director and the Operations and Enterprise Managers
- To work as a supportive team member with Converge colleagues to achieve effective outcomes
Your particular responsibilities will include:
- Work with colleagues in the wider team to develop and maintain office systems, processes and procedures for support, including maintaining filing and management of records, in line with the University’s records management policy and adopted best practice
- Support the Governance function by preparing papers for and minuting quarterly Steering Group and Strategic Advisory Board meeting
- To support the Director of Converge and the Operations and Enterprise Managers in their day-to-day activities by maintaining records for all reporting.
- To support events delivery of Converge and other events managed by the Converge team
- To collate quotations, record spend and process payments, including invoicing
- To reconcile and code of monthly department credit card spend
- To liaise with suppliers, service providers and customers
- To create and maintain payment schedules
- To provide summary of expenditure to the Director and the Enterprise Manager and monitor the budget, including attending regular monthly meetings with the HW Finance Department
- To contribute to budget planning and phasing exercises as and when necessary
- Liaison with various internal HW departments including Enterprise Directorate, Procurement, Treasury, HR, IT and Central Stores
- Demonstrate excellent customer service, to internal and external colleagues and stakeholders
- Build a wide network of mutually beneficial relationships across Enterprise Services, rest of Heriot-Watt, partner universities in Converge and beyond
- Provide support to committees, working groups and ad hoc meetings as and when required
- Research, prepare and collate briefing papers/other information and material as and when required
- Create and improve processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness of work
- Other duties as required by the Director and Operations Manager in the context of the objectives of the University e.g. arranging meetings and travel
Location and Flexible Work:
This role is primarily remote/home-based but some office work will also be required. Converge offers flexible working patterns to suit individual circumstances.
Converge is looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to apply their organisational skills in a multi-dimensional role. Applications from any degree background will be welcomed, as well as people returning to the workforce after a career break.
- Have good organisational abilities
- Prioritise tasks for self in line with strategic objectives and University structure/protocol
- Have good written and oral communication skills
- Have good interpersonal skills and a professional, customer-focused approach
- Have a high degree of attention to detail and high quality of output, including accuracy and volume
- Have a good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrate confidence and flexibility in handling the challenges of a busy work environment and will be expected to handle changing priorities effectively and balance multiple tasks simultaneously
- Be proactive, creating own work/instigating own tasks, rather than responding purely to demand; for example, investigations/background information gathering
- Experience of using Microsoft Dynamics and Oracle or similar bespoke in-house finance or data management systems
- Previous experience of working in the Higher Education sector would be advantageous, but not essential
- Proactive self-starter
- Passionate and enthusiastic
- Upbeat personality and ability to cope with pressure
- Excellent time management
- Exceptionally good at relationship building and working with others.
- Enthusiasm to learn and explore new opportunities
- Strong work ethic with a responsible and proactive approach
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
The closing date for applications is 7 December 2021, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and tailored Cover Letter through the AAI online application form on our website. Examples of what we expect in an application can be found HERE.
IMPORTANT – Please submit your application documents in the format of [Your full name] CV and [Your full name] CL. Please link any online portfolio work in your CV or Cover Letter.
All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant experience and demonstrate how your skills match the specific requirements of the job description.