Location: Remote (UK)
Salary: £33,000 – £45,000 per annum
Full-time, Permanent, Flexible working options available
Closing date: This role is now closed for applications
Ready to take scientific knowledge to new heights? Do you enjoy problem-solving and have a background in chemistry, physics, engineering or aerosol science?
At IOM, you could be part of a world-leading research team, making a real difference in creating better lives and a healthier environment.
Find out more below.
- Flexible working options available
- Access to flexible benefits & rewards platform
- An international organisation with a world-leading science research team
- Contribute to an organisation whose aim is to make people’s lives, and the environment in which we live better
- Play a part in delivering on the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Complimentary drinks and snacks
- 34 days annual leave incl public holidays
- Workplace Pension Scheme
- Annual Profit Share
- Subsidised Christmas party
IOM is seeking a dynamic individual to join its team and contribute to its Research Strategy. You will be responsible for leading and supporting existing commercial and research projects.
Your work will push the boundaries of scientific knowledge and help remove a range of health risks such as noise, chemicals, asbestos, heat, dust or vibrations as well as the emerging risks of new technologies.
In this role, you will:
- develop and maintain field, laboratory, research and consultancy aerosol science services
- play a key role in engaging with clients and stakeholders to ensure IOM’s work is impactful and influential
Your other responsibilities will include (but won’t be limited to):
- Use and apply risk assessment tools and methods to critically assess safety, particularly with nanomaterials
- Maintain and develop connections to the aerosol science community
- Deliver and report instrumental measurement surveys and assess workplace exposure of particulate emissions from manufacturing processes and nanomaterial handling activities, as part of a team, to identify and evaluate potential exposures to hazards
- Deliver laboratory-based particle characterisation in support of client needs and assist with the further development of these services
- Write client reports and contribute to articles for peer-reviewed publication
- Be a brand ambassador for IOM by presenting and attending scientific conferences / networking events, showcasing the organisations’ brand credentials
- Continuously develop and expand IOM’s scientific expertise
IOM’s values of independence, impartiality, integrity, quality and sustainability underpin both its work and the confidence that their clients place in the answers provided.
Its work gives the best scientific and evidence-based opinion regardless of who pays and whether the results seem favourable or not.
IOM is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from all individuals are encouraged. Regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships, they want to hear from you!
To succeed in this role, you should be a passionate and driven individual who thrives on finding innovative solutions to scientific challenges.
A key aspect of the role is the ability to connect and communicate effectively with people. IOM is seeking someone who not only loves delving into scientific research but also enjoys engaging with others and building meaningful connections.
The essential requirements for the role are listed below:
- A degree in a relevant physical science with post graduate qualification(s) (in e.g. aerosol science, physics, chemistry, engineering or a similar field) or >5 years post-graduate experience in a role relevant to this post
- Practical experience of aerosol measurement in a laboratory and field environment and the interpretation of generated data, using both direct reading and integrated sampling methods
- Experienced with particulate risk assessment tools and methods
- You keep up to date with regulatory development and/or have an understanding for workplace exposure and safety
- Ability to lead research projects and commercial contracts
- Successful record of writing, submitting, securing research and commercial proposals
- Proven track record of implementing and delivering research and commercial projects, as well as associated reports and scientific publications, to an excellent standard
- Have strong IT skills, including MS Office applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and relevant data processing and instrument software
- Strong time management with ability to prioritise and organise own workload (and those of others if necessary)
- Creative and resourceful in tackling challenges
- Previous experience of training, coaching and mentoring
- Able to and passionate about the development of new work areas with team collaboration
- Comfortable collaborating and communicating with a wide range of people, from scientists to the public
About the Company
“IOM is an organisation with a great history and unlimited potential for the future.
IOM have been at the forefront of occupational health research since 1969, with a mission to deliver a healthy and sustainable workplace for all.
Our purpose is to improve people’s health and safety at work, at home and in the environment through excellent independent science to create a healthy and sustainable world.”
Learn more about IOM here.
This role is now closed for applications