Location: East Renfrewshire Council, Barrhead Office
£9.09 per hour
Full-time for 12 months
Closing date: 13 March 2020, 12 noon
“This is an exciting learning opportunity for a creatively-minded graduate who is looking for a fresh start to their career in web development within the public sector.”
- AAI Team
About the Company
“Glasgow City Region is one of the largest regions in the UK, with a population of 1.8 million, covering eight council areas: Glasgow, East Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, Inverclyde, North Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, South Lanarkshire and West Dunbartonshire.
East Renfrewshire Council was formed in 1996 from Barrhead and Renfrew districts, and sits adjacent to the southern border of Glasgow City Council. Its population of 92,380 are split across 5 wards and 11 community council areas. Rural settlements include Eaglesham, Neilston and Newton Mearns while urban areas in the eastern area of the authority include Giffnock, Thornliebank and Stamperland among others. In 2014, 35.2% of the population were aged under 29, making young people a significant age group within the council.”
Read more about East Renfrewshire Council here.
You will work with a range of stakeholders to capture their requirements, work collaboratively with the web design lead and be responsible for developing the new website. As part of the ICT service team, you will work closely with other developers who will be able to provide advice and guidance throughout your internship.
As well as redeveloping the website, it’s expected that you will work on a range of projects which will enhance East Renfrewshire Council’s portfolio of online digital services.
• Work collaboratively with the web design lead and be responsible for developing the new website
• Develop a detailed specification for the website by working with key stakeholders to define and document their requirements
• Arrange workshops to demonstrate development progress to key stakeholders
• Produce highlight reports at agreed intervals in the project
• Work collaboratively with the web design lead to produce templates that conform to web standards, ensuring compliance with the latest accessibility requirements
• Integrate new and existing systems to provide a complete, end–to-end digital fulfilment of business processes
• Work with customers and ICT colleagues to translate business requirements into fully developed online solutions
• Ensure that all duties are carried out in line with East Renfrewshire Council’s policies and procedures re: development/testing standards, information security, project management etc.
This internship will be located within the ICT Service of East Renfrewshire Council, Barrhead office.
Travel to other Council sites will be required.
You will be a graduate with at least an HND or equivalent experience in a relevant subject. You will have a portfolio of projects where you have actively designed and developed your own websites, highlighting your creativity.
The right person for this role will:
• Be proficient in the use of open-source content management systems such as WordPress and be able to customise themes and plugins
• Be proficient in the use of PHP
• Have demonstratable evidence of developing other websites, and incorporating a high standard of creative design input
• Have demonstratable experience of developing mobile websites
• Have a working knowledge of systems analysis, design and testing
• Have an understanding of SEO and have experience of using Google Analytics
• Have an understanding of C# in a Microsoft .NET development framework using Microsoft Visual Studio
• Have an understanding of JSON and Ajax
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is Friday 13 March 2020, 12 noon.
Please submit a CV and Cover Letter through the AAI EmployAbility online application form on our website. Examples of what we expect in an application can be found here.
All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date. State A) your availability and B) relevant experience and demonstrate how your skills match the specific requirements of the job description.
We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.