£9.30 per hour
Full-Time or Part-Time* for 6 months (potentially leading to a permanent role)
Closing date: 3 January 2020, 12 noon
Interview date: 14 January 2020
About the Company
“Matter of Focus is a mission-led start-up company. We work with public and third sector organisations helping them embed evaluation processes throughout their work. This ensures that their projects and programmes are continually improving. We have developed a specific approach to doing this that is focussed on outcomes and has been developed over decades of research and practical work with organisations by the founders. We are developing a software product that helps organisations effectively implement the approach and tell the story about the difference they make.
Our aim is to support public service organisations to use meaningful outcome evaluation to focus on what matters to people and communities and our ultimate vision is to transform the way the sector uses evidence to drive change.”
Find out more about Matter of Focus on their website here.
Matter of Focus is looking for a research and communications intern to support their work. You will spend your time working closely with the Delivery Team and creating engaging communications to support a range of public and voluntary sector clients. Matter of Focus support them to embed meaningful outcome evaluations in their work, develop good data collection and analysis, and report to their stakeholders.
How you will spend your time:
• Supporting the team with facilitation, writing up workshops, liaising with clients to set up meetings
• Supporting clients with their evaluation challenges both face to face and using company software. This will include helping clients develop data gathering tools, review and analyse their data and may include some reviewing of literature
• Building a bigger and high-quality social media following
• Editing and creating blogs about the organisation’s approach and methods. This will include working with colleagues to plan content and ensure blogs are impactful, for example, supported by relevant content/images
• Working closely with the Communications Manager to make sure the communications strategy effectively reaches target audiences
There will be a chance to bring innovation and creativity to the role as well as further develop your research and evaluation skills. This will be Matter of Focus’ 7th member of staff and they are hoping to find someone who will be open to staying on with the company after the internship.
The successful candidate will be provided considerable supervision and mentorship as they develop expertise in our approach to outcome evaluation and further develop their communications skills.
*This role is available part or full time and there is scope to switch partway through, should your circumstances change
If you are someone with a good grounding in Social Science research methods, and a passion for communicating through multiple channels to wide and varied audiences then this could be for you.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level in a Social Science degree (or related subject) with a strong focus on research, analysis and evaluation. You will be in your Final Year or have already graduated.
• A good understanding of basic qualitative research methodology
• A great communicator, especially in writing, with a flair for communicating complex ideas in a simple way
• Practical and organised
• An interest and aptitude for using digital technology
• Experience and expertise in social media, particularly blogging, Twitter or LinkedIn
• An interest in how public services can be improved
• Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
• Someone who can bring positive energy and enthusiasm into a small team
Desirable but not essential:
• Experience of writing for non-academic purposes (e.g. blogging, newsletter writing etc)
• Experience of working in the public or voluntary sector
• Experience or interest in developing digital technology
• Experience of conducting research (e.g. for dissertation)
• Understanding of quantitative research methods
Matter of Focus is a small family-friendly and values-led workplace.
All employees need to sign up to their values which are:
• Collaborative: working with people to achieve sustainable change
• Purposeful: focus on what matters to people and communities
• Respectful: build respectful relationships in all interactions
• Outcome focussed: use an outcomes approach in all we do
• Pursuing excellence: continuously, innovate, learn and improve.
• Fair: be fair and flexible with all colleagues and clients.
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 3 January 2020, 12 noon.
Interviews will be held on 7 or 8 January 2020.
Please submit a CV and tailored Cover Letter through the Adopt an Intern online application form on our website. Examples of what we expect in an application can be found HERE. All applications must be submitted by 12 noon on the closing date.
State A) your availability and B) relevant experience and demonstrate how your skills match the specific requirements of the job description.
We do NOT accept email applications unless otherwise stated.
Successful candidates must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK.